Today cars speed past a bronze, equestrian statue of George Washington, depicted as commander in chief of the Continental Army, that stands in the middle of Washington Circle in D.C.’s Foggy Bottom neighborhood.
The statue, which was made by sculptor Clark Mills and was dedicated in 1860, stands in the middle of the city’s first traffic circle, which was laid out, enclosed and planted with lawn, shrubs and trees in 1856.
Streetcar tracks were laid around the circle in 1862, but were soon neglected during the Civil War. The park has undergone a number of improvements and redesigns throughout the years, such as the 1961-1962 addition of the K Street underpass.
The circle is located near the George Washington University campus, metro stop and hospital, where 23rd Street, K Street and New Hampshire Avenue intersect.
“Washington’s D.C.” is a new blog series that explores George Washington landmarks in and around the Federal City, which we know today as Washington, D.C.